FBC Statement of Practice
On their honor, FBC Certified Biblical Counselors agree to adhere to the following statement of practice:
1. As Scripture, in its inerrant authority, claims sufficiency for teaching and training in all of life and godliness, my counseling is sourced there. I deny theories, methods, models, principles, and philosophies derived from secular sources. 1 Corinthians 3:19, Colossians 2:8, 2 Peter 1:3-4, 2 Timothy 3:16-17
2. By God’s grace and through His Holy Spirit, my purpose in counseling is to grow disciples of Jesus Christ who obey His Word for the glory of God. I prioritize the salvation of the counselee, and then sanctification under Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. Matthew 28:19-20, Luke 9:23, Romans 12:1-2, 1 Peter 4:11
3. I order my life and conduct, by the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit, in godliness and holiness before God, living out the truths I am counseling. Ephesians 4:1-3, Philippians 2:12-13
4. I faithfully assemble with my local church, exhort my brothers or sisters to love and good deeds, and obey those in authority; and I likewise instruct those I counsel. Matthew 18:15-19, Ephesians 4:11-16, Hebrews 10:24-25, Hebrews 13:17
5. I believe in the pattern and principle of male leadership and responsibility in both the home and the church, according to the sacrificial example of Jesus. (Eph 5:22-31) I believe this limits the roles of Pastor/Elder leadership and doctrinal authority to qualified men (I Corinthians 11:1-12; I Timothy 2:1-15).